the spencer/perkins house!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

thanksgiving, shhmanksgiving

this year's thanksgiving was interesting! for starters instead of the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, cranberry sauce etc...i had taco salad and some fruit snacks! (it was actually quite tastey) and instead of going around the table and saying something or someone we're most thankful for, me and my housemate had a movie marathon (oceans 11, 12, and 13!) However, the overall feel of the day remained! i recieved countless texts from friends near and far wishing a happy thanksgiving! family memebers called to check in and wish me the same! and all day i was in a very reflective mood about what it is that i am most thankful for! Here is the thing...there are give-ins! First and foremost, my family! Second, friends. Third, my ability to breathe, to walk, to taste, to run...my health! Fourth, that i have the freedom to live my own life, whether through encouragement from my family/friends or permission from the government!haha! and the list goes on...but for some reason what has been on my heart and mind all day are my teachers! i have not had very many throughout my whole k-12 education that i didnt like and even the ones that i didnt see eye to eye with, i appreciated! im not gonna give names...but because i couldnt share at the table today, im going to share now!
i am most appreciative of: my kindergarten teacher who encouraged me to just have fun and use my imagination! my second grade teacher who not only gave me a love of reading but was the first teacher i looked up to as a human being! one of the kindest most caring people that i'v met! my fourth grade teacher who introduced me to poetry and creative writing! my 6th grade teachers...both of whom turned out to be more like mentors! my 7th grade science teacher who not only gave me an appreciation for th sciences but who taught me a valuable lesson about embracing different cultures! my 8th grade history teacher for being one of the only classes i NEVER wanted to miss, one of the most extrordinary women iv met! my 11th grade math teacher for being the first person to explain math in a way i understood and for making me feel that i was listening to comedy stand up every class period! my 9th grade digitools teacher...what i actually thank him for isnt his teaching ability (although i loved his class) i thank him for the leadership role in my brother and friends life (as a baketball coach) i dont really know why he had such a profound impact but i think when you see the people you love respond, it causes you to respond as well! my senior english teacher or being one of the most gentle spirits i have EVER met and for helping me work through my weak areas in writing! my 12th grade physics teacher for one, being just an all around kind man, but for encouraging me to ask questions and experiment! my band teacher from 5th grade on...never have a met a teacher who earned more trust from students! and lastly, my 10th grade english teacher...for intriguing me not only with the course material but with herself! for foscusing on my strengths while still working on my weak areas! for making the nightly reading assignments turn into lively discussion and debate the next morning. For making every lesson we learned apply to the world outside the classroom! and when i needed it, for giving me grace and support!

so overall...today wasn't too bad because i was accompanied by the thoughts and thankfulness for not only all of these teachers but for the hundreds of other people in my life that love and support me and that continue to be present in my life! i wish i could say that the things i choose to do are soley based on myself and my own strength....but part of it is because for all the things i'v learned and that have been poured into me, i feel it would be a waste to not use it! in a sense then i do it out of obligation, expectation and accountability! thank you all for pushing me to explore, to ask questions, take risks, be creative, to be smart,logical and safe and yet accept life's mystery and run with it!

happy thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment